Monday, June 29, 2009

I'm baaack...

Jesusjosephandmary, computers are more trouble than they're worth. In technical terms, Blogger "ate" my password and wouldn't let me in. I considered telling Blogger where to go and starting over again, but as meager as my blog is I'd still have been sad to lose it. Miraculously, it seems Blogger has reconsidered me as a member and is now back to its usual self. *fingers crossed* Thank you for not forgetting me!

Considering it has been forever since I've blogged, I don't even know where to start to catch up! Let's see...well, my Magic didn't win it all (though I'm very proud of them)...but our vacation was awesome! Here's a quick re-cap:

Savannah: Eating at Paula's was an experience to be remembered. The mashed potatoes had to have a butter to potato ratio of 1:1, and that is a beautiful thing. It was as hot as hell, but a fantastic day of quaint old buildings, parks, and history. Not to be too elequent, but I freaking LOVE Savannah.

The Tennessee/Virginia leg: Our trip to Chattanooga and Ruby Falls and our drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway may top the list of most beautiful things these eyes have ever seen. Remember, I am a Florida girl who has never strayed far from the coast--nearly 30, and only now seeing mountains for the first time! We stopped at some darling wineries and even picked blueberries along the way!

Annapolis: visiting with my family was therapeutic and relaxing. I love Annapolis (helloooo, Midshipmen!) and the sight-seeing there, as well as our trip into Washington, D.C. Best of all, my lifelong goal of seeing the Baltimore Orioles play at Camden Yards was realized---and in bottom of the 9th, come-from-behind victory style, no less! I felt like my mom was there (she grew up an O's fan).

Then I'm home, getting back into the swing of things and BOOM! the beautiful and special Farrah Fawcett is gone. I always loved her (all my Barbies were named Farrah). I have a picture of my mom wearing her hair "Farrah style". I grew to truly admire her during her fight with cancer. Generally, I find people's obsession with celebrity to be a bit odd. I'm in the minority, but I just don't see the fact that someone is beautiful and in movies that you like as good enough reason to want to be like them or call them a hero. In full disclosure, I partially tried out bangs because Reese Witherspoon looked so cute with them, but that's where I draw the line. Some celebrities use their celebrity to do things worthy of our admiration, and with the attention she brought to her struggle with cancer, Farrah was one of them. Even as a cancer-free 20-something, she did cancer PSAs. Anal cancer has such an unnecessary negative stigma, and I really think she helped begin clear that. I am glad that she has brought attention to a lesser-known, lesser-researched cancer. Anal cancer doesn't get an awareness month, or sell cute pink products to raise money to fight it (Please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking breast cancer's "success", I'm simply saying it gets a lot of attention and is not the only cancer out there...I've known dozens of women effected by breast cancer and lost a dear aunt to it 12 years ago, obviously I want a cure and am glad any disease--especially a woman's disease--is getting attention). Remember when no one wanted to talk about prostate cancer? Thank goodness that has changed. All in all, I am sad that Farrah has passed away and hope her family is making it through ok (I know first hand that even when a death is expected, it is not easier to deal with). They are all in my prayers, and I am thankful that Farrah was able to do such good for so many. What a legacy!

That was a long, poorly organized paragraph that I am too lazy to go back and edit. I apologize to your eyes and mind.

I have yet to upload my photos to Facebook or send them off to Walgreen's for printing for our summer scrapbook, but as soon as I do I will try to get some pictures of our travels up.

No comments:

Post a Comment