Friday, July 17, 2009

Fiesta!

Happy Friday to everyone! Hubby and I are taking his grandmother out to dinner tonight. We're going to a little hole-in-the-wall joint up in West Volusia County that serves the best "old Florida style" seafood on the planet. I can't wait!

I thought I'd start periodically sharing some of my favorite things. I'm a very easy person to shop for (at least I'd like to think so!) because there are so many things I'm known for loving at all sorts of price points. For example, all of my family knows that I am obsessed with Fiestaware.



Fiesta dinnerware was created in 1936 and, with the exception of a period of time between 1973 and 1986, has been around ever since. It's made in Newell, West Virginia (gotta love a good "Made in the USA" product). I love the art deco style and the fact that it comes in every hue in the rainbow. I love bold and bright colors!

My aunt got me started with a set back in college. Actually 4 complete place settings in rose, seamist, periwinkle and yellow (all beautiful pastels, and sadly discontinued now). My mom always loved Fiestaware and always talked about how she wanted to replace her Correlle ware with it. I guess that stuck with me! I love it. I'm so not a traditional China person (blasphemy to some, I know). I didn't register for a pattern. The thought didn't even cross my mind---well, until someone suggested it to me and I looked at them like they had 2 heads. Hubby and I are not the type to do fancy dinners, so it would be a complete waste (I do, however, have a fave Waterford crystal pattern---I cling to my old Irish roots on that one!). Now, nothing makes me happier than adding a new piece to my collection. I love that it is meant to be used, not saved "for good". I love opening our cabinet and seeing the stacks of colorful plates. I love how our table looks set with a rainbow of colors.

(I don't have an actual photo of our dinette set, but I found a similar picture out on the internets. This is exactly like our table, except ours is teal. It was in my mother in law's home when she was a little girl in the 50's. I love it. My eventual decorating goal is to give our kitchen a retro vibe without making it seem like you're in a diner or soda shop. Easy on the kitsch!)

Eventually, I hope to amass a substantial collection with lots of variety. That way, I can set a table with colors that match the season or holiday's theme. (I am currently all set for Easter, it's adorable). Since most dinner pieces sell for $10-20, it's a wonderful "cheap thrill" for me.

Anyhow, I'll stop before I go on all day about my slight obsession appreciation for Fiesta (I almost have already!) but I'm glad to share my loves!

1 comment:

  1. I love tables like that...and Fiestaware has called my name for a few years...I love all the colors too!

    ReplyDelete