Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Random Ramblings

I'm a bad blogger with zero inspiration. But you know what, some of my fave posts on other blogs are conglomerations of little thoughts, ideas and whatnot that may not all go together, but certainly are interesting.

At the risk of sounding like June Cleaver, I bought myself an apron and I'm totally excited about it. I saw a picture of it somewhere online last year, and finding it became my obsession. All I knew was that it came from Target and it was adorable. Lo and behold, after basically giving up, it jumped out an surprised me while I was buying dishtowels at Tar-jay last weekend! My sister, who was with me when I found my dear and darling apron, now knows for certain that I'm nuts. My excitement level was probably higher than was really warranted, but oh well.

See? Adorable. Totally worth the stares I'm sure I got for my outburst. I bake a lot, and I am pretty darn messy, so this will spare my clothing. I'm a messy eater too, so I may wear it at dinnertime as well.

On the same shopping trip, I picked up my (other) new favorite household gadget and must spread the word.

Wonder Hangers. My sister made me buy them, and I am glad. You get 8 hangers for $10, so you can hang 45 articles of clothing. Now, I will say this: they're not as fabulous and durable as the infomercials want you to believe (shocking, right?) I wouldn't trust them to hang winter coats or big purses as they show in the commercials. Heck, I don't think I'd put Hubby's XL Polo shirts on them, honestly. But for my size small shirts (especially the tanks and cami's) they are a godsend. Our master bedroom closet is big, but not as big as we'd like (I don't know how it's possible, but my husband owns more clothes than me. And lots of big clothes take up a lot of space) so this will help out big time.

I'll end by passing on a recipe for the cake I made for a co-worker's birthday. He's a founding partner at the law firm I work at, 87 years young, and has a sweet tooth to rival any child. I knew a light, airy angel food cake with some berry puree over top would not do for him. So I pulled out the big guns. If you scoff at the use of cake mix, then x out and make fun all you want. I see no shame in using a mix. Anyhow, I present to you, Betty Crocker's Better Than Anything Cake:


1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® German chocolate cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 jar (16 to 17 oz) caramel, butterscotch or fudge topping
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 bag (8 oz) toffee chips or bits


1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Bake cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan.
2. Poke top of warm cake every 1/2 inch with handle of wooden spoon. Drizzle milk evenly over top of cake; let stand until milk has been absorbed into cake. Drizzle with caramel topping. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours

A few of the reviews said it was still good when sugar free products were used, so I used a box of sugar free devils food cake mix I already had (accidental purchase, I'm usually not a big sugar-free fan). I also only used about half of the caramel sauce, as well as fat free cool whip. It was still a purely decadent sugar rush. A square the size of about half a playing card was enough for me. Co-Worker had seconds and went back for a third slice later in the afternoon. Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment