Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hmmm....

In 2 months, I will be cruising the Caribbean. Hubby and I will be celebrating our one year anniversary and finally taking our belated honeymoon cruise.

Problem is, my hips and thighs didn't shrink like I'd planned them to. Maybe, oh I don't know, because I've been a sedentary bum who drinks far too much Coke? Just a guess.

I've gained 10 pounds in the last year, thanks to stress and changes in my lifestyle. 10 isn't all that much, but when you're only 4'10", it is (yes, I am midget-esque). It's mainly, as I said, in my lower half (Why it couldn't go to the boobal region, I don't know). This will not be cute in a swimsuit.

So I've started really being aware of how many calories I'm taking in. Not obsessive. I'm not depriving myself or staying up at night freaking out about how many calories were in my carrot sticks. But I think twice before shoving down that cookie. I haven't given up soda completely (I cannot live that way) but my very occasional soda-of-choice is Diet Dr. Pepper. I'm aware there is no magic wand to wave to make the pounds disappear. "Eat less, move more" is the only way, so it's my mantra. I hate sweating, so this is a bit of a problem, but swimming, jump roping, hula hooping, weight training and inching my way toward the Couch to 5K program is better than nothing.

Hubby's on board (and quite honestly could benefit too). I don't think 2 months is an unreasonable time to shed a few pounds. 10 may not happen, but even 5 will help. Lean meats, whole grains, lots and lots of veggies. We grill just about every other night. I think the changes we're making will add up quickly. More importantly, they are changes we can handle and don't mind making. Sometimes you just have to shake yourself and get yourself on track, ya knows?

I'd like to start planning out our meals and shopping list for the week. Hubby's schedule is crazy (especially once basketball season starts!), so I'll have to be flexible. I'm thinking that has to be infinitely easier than my usual method of staring into the freezer 'til I settle on something to try to defrost quickly.

However, don't think for a minute I'm cutting out my glass o' wine while cooking dinner or cleaning. It will not get done otherwise, trust me. I may switch to vodka with diet tonic and lime (my fave cocktail). I'm all about sacrificing. (I need booze to clean...add that to the list of things I should not be admitting publicly. Oh well, too late. *Publish Post*)


No comments:

Post a Comment